The train-wreck that is Bobby Petrino’s life continues to spiral down the toilet as news comes out that he also carried on a text message relationship with Alison Melder, also known as the 2008 “Miss Motorcycle Mania”. According to a DeadSpin report, there were at least 200 texts and a handful of picture messages. TheFrothy can only assume the texts weren’t to discuss the state of Republican politics in Arkansas. (Melder was senate assistant with the Republican Party of Arkansas.) But then again, it is an election year. Apparently, the Republican Party of Arkansas scouts talent more progressively than most other GOP groups – they use a website called TalentFinder.tv.
Frankly, this isn’t at the same level of torrid depravity as the Tiger Woods situation a few years back. But, it was a 50-year-old football coach of a top flight college football program with a penchant for assholi-ness that borders on insanely ludicrous. Let us go to the tale of the tape:
- July 2006 – Petrino signs 10-year, $26.5 million contract with Louisville.
- January 2007 – After flatly denying and desire to leave Louisville, Petrino signs on as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons for 5 years, $24 million.
- December 2007 – Petrino quits as head coach of the Falcons with 3 games left in the season. He informs assistant coaches and players with a form letter. Assumes the head coaching job at the University of Arkansas.
- After 4 years of improvement on the field, Petrino crashes his motorcycle into a tree with a 25-year-old former-student-athlete-turned-football-assistant Jessica Dorrell in the back seat.
- Panic ensues and Petrino’s professional and personal life unravel faster than his head coaching career in the NFL.